The state of California has enacted a series of laws that could provide serious sentence enhancements if you are convicted of a gun-related crime. If you have been charged with such a crime, you should be aware of the possible sentence enhancements you may face.
Potential sentence enhancements
Different states have different criminal penalties for committing many different crimes, and California is no different. The state legislature has opted to create some very serious penalties for crimes related to guns.
Some of these offenses include:
• Committing a felony while using a firearm
• Possession of bullets that are made to penetrate a bulletproof vest
• Committing a sex offense, such as rape, while in possession of a firearm
• Giving a person a gun to commit a felony
• Discharging certain types of weapons, such as assault rifles, while committing a felony
• Discharging a gun while in a car
These are not the only six potential charges you face if accused of using a firearm, but they are among the more frequently used ones. As such, if you are found to be guilty of any of the above crimes, you may face additional legal penalties, including enhanced time in jail.
Your legal options
Thankfully, even if you are accused of committing a gun-related crime, an experienced criminal defense attorney can assist you with determining your options, fighting the charges and ensuring that you are treated fairly under the law. If you are under investigation for committing any of the above crimes or have been contacted by law enforcement, it is highly advisable to seek appropriate legal counsel as soon as possible in order to determine the best path forward.